Why do Sith (or at least some of them) have yellow eyes?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Lando Calrissian
        428 Midi-chlorians
        Jedi Knight

We probably all have seen how both Darth Vader and Palpatine had yellow eyes. At least- Anakin/Vader did before he was burnt on Mustafar. But does anyone know why? Or is there no current explanation in Star Wars canon?

MasterMace
          81 Midi-chlorians
          Jedi Youngling

I’m not sure if we know exactly why, but I do remember reading something about how the reason Dooku doesn’t have yellow eyes even though he’s a Sith is because the eye color is based on the emotions of the Dark Side user. Since Dooku used for pragmatic emotions instead of rage and raw ambition, his eyes weren’t yellow. Not sure though if that’s actually canon.

MasterMace
              81 Midi-chlorians
              Jedi Youngling

I guess I’d read this based on a review that came from Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia which says that as Sith eyes reflect the emotions they’ve harnessed. Since emotions can be controlled though, this was also how Palpatine managed to make his eyes not yellow around the Jedi, so they didn’t suspect him.

Jabba the Flubb
                350 Midi-chlorians
                Jedi Padawan

Yeah I think that is right. Can’t say I’ve really read deep into it, but I’m pretty sure it’s based on emotions

Jabba the Flubb
                  350 Midi-chlorians
                  Jedi Padawan

Makes me wonder if there are other physical changes that happen to either light side or dark side users when they embrace the Force

TK-421
                      59 Midi-chlorians
                      Jedi Youngling

I think your skin gets more wrinkly 🙂

Darth Moros
                    22 Midi-chlorians
                    Force-Sensitive

The Kotor games have a nice system where the darker you choices get the paler your skin and yellower your eyes the phrase Psychotic urges is uttered a lot, which is the practical and simple way to show that attuning yourself to either side has consequences.

Yellow eyes, pale skin dried skin, white hair and a thinned figure are usual signs of dark side influence, but you must first surrender yourself to darkness, then understand it and finally accepting it.

A great conversation in the Plagueis book reads:

Sidious watched the last of the brush fires burn out, then said, “Will Ieventually be physically transformed?”

“Into some aged, pale-skinned, raspy-voiced, yellow-eyed monster, youmean. Such as the one you see before you.” Plagueis gestured to himself,then lowered himself to the ground. “Surely you are acquainted with the lore: King Ommin of Onderon, Darths Sion and Nihilus. But whether it will happen to you, I can’t say. Know this, though, Sidious, that the power of the dark side does not debilitate the practitioner as much as itdebilitates those who lack it.” He grinned with evil purpose. “The power ofthe dark side is an illness no true Sith would wish to be cured of.”

Lando Calrissian
                        428 Midi-chlorians
                        Jedi Knight

I’ve read Plagueis, but it’s been long enough that I’d forgotten this passage entirely. Such an epic line and provides deep insight into the Dark Side and the mind of the Sith. Thinking of Kotor really makes me want to play it again and see if I notice any other physical changes. Seems like the orbits around the eyes would get more sunken too, but I’d have to check.

Viewing 2 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  DISCUSSION FORUMS CODE OF CONDUCT

By participating in discussions on TrueSWFans.com, you agree to uphold a high level of professionalism in avoiding the use of vulgar, unkind, or inappropriate language. We reserve the right to moderate and remove content that does not meet this standard. For more details, please review the section labeled 'Discussions Forums, Topics, and Express Permissions' in our Terms & Conditions. Please agree to these terms below.

By participating in discussions on TrueSWFans.com, you agree to uphold a high level of professionalism in avoiding the use of vulgar, unkind, or inappropriate language. We reserve the right to moderate and remove content that does not meet this standard. For more details, please review the section labeled 'Discussions Forums, Topics, and Express Permissions' in our Terms & Conditions. Please agree to these terms below.

By signing this form, you agree to this code of conduct.